Meet Jamie, artist, speaker and performing artist
Jamie O’Hara, 53, is an artist, speaker and performer. Known as The Magic Guy, O’Hara started doing magic at the age of 7 after “Queenie” the Magician entertained for her birthday party. O’Hara bought a guitar when he was 13 when his brother Mike showed him six chords.
O’Hara grew up near New York and came to Las Cruces when he was 18 because his older brother was here. He then met a girl from northern New Mexico. He proposed and she said yes. The couple built careers and raised a family.
âMy job is to amaze, engage, inspire and entertain,â he said. “Bring magic and music to the world. Always try to be better than yesterday.”
1. What was your first car? Mazda B2000 pickup.
2. What is your favorite restaurant in the area? CafÃ© Don FÃ©lix de Mesilla.
3. What do you have on your iPod right now? Or: What is your favorite music and musician? My CD has my album: “So Close;” my favorite musician: Stevie Ray Vaughn.
4. what is your favorite movie? “The Godfather.”
5. Who is your favorite book or author? JRR Tolkien.
6. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Hawaii.
7. If you could time travel to any place or point in history, where would you go? Ever since modern sanitation, where I would like to meet Johann Sebastian Bach.
8. What super power would you like to have? To go back in time.
9. Who is your favorite sports team? Yankees.
ten. If you won the lottery, what would you do? Invest half, create an endowment / foundation supporting arts education and go crazy with a part; spend, give, rinse repeat.
11. What do you do with your free time? Free time??? Dream, play music, take a nap, talk with friends on the phone.
12. Involved in clubs or groups? The International Brotherhood of Magicians, the Guild of Musicians of Mesilla Valley.
13. If you could magically add one thing to Las Cruces, what would it be? Better collaboration between all those who produce and promote events – all too interested, don’t seem to see the big picture. In a world of social media, there is no excuse for this.
14. What is your favorite annual event in Las Cruces / Mesilla? Hmmm … the Southern New Mexico State Fair and Rodeo.
15. What was your closest connection to celebrity? Accidentally in the movie “Homeward Bound 2” with my wife, filmed in San Francisco.
16. What is your greatest achievement? My wife, Felicia, and I have three amazing children, two amazing young women and a great teenager. Each of them plays very cool artists and humans!
17. What’s the one thing people would be surprised to know about you? I am a handyman with a Frisbee flying disc.
18. Do you have pets? Our family dog ââRocky passed away in February. He was over 15, an aborted Rottweiler / Shepherd. I have an adoption in mind and a yard to tame for a new dog.
19. Do you collect something? OMG. Magic books, stringed instruments, magic accessories.
20. When you cook, what is your specialty? I’m definitely a guy you want in your kitchen. I make a delicious meatless marinara – red sauce or gravy. I identify as Italian / American despite my Irish last name. Funny story, ask me one day.